Monday, March 18, 2019

Post #4

Job offer negotiation:

I was just recently offered a job with a company located in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, no negotiating went on with this process and I personally did not feel like I had the right to negotiate anything because I am going to be fresh out of college with not much experience.

I still would like to use this job offer as an example though. If i went into this job with experience in the industry I would have absolutely felt the need to negotiate the salary. Especially if the job I was at before paid me more than I was offered.

I was offered a base pay of $32,500 plus uncapped commission. This job has great benefits such as insurance, payed time off, and a discount on a gym membership at a gym near by. I also will have plenty of opportunity to receive bonuses/promotions. If I went into this job interview with more experience and was offered 32,500 I would negotiate this salary and ask if I could get it raised to $45,000 plus commission. $45,000 would be my aspiration price for this job starting out. If they are unwilling to give me that my BATNA would be $42,000 a year. If this price did not work out my reservation price would be $40,000. I would also negotiate the amount I was making at my previous job because I think this would help them realize what situation I am in and why I would not want to take a lower paying job. After negotiating a price I would negotiate how many vacation I days I have since I am not close to home and would want to see my family. As of right now I have two weeks of vacation/ paid time off. I am okay with this but if I had a family of my own I would probably negotiate a few more days. Having paid time off is important to me especially if a family emergency comes up and I have to be home for it.

Other than these few things I think the opportunity I was given is great for someone without much experience. Also, the position I am in has great opportunities to move up. I have a chance to make $45,000 as a base salary if I work hard enough and get promoted within a year. Once I get a few years experience and potentially moved to another job I would feel more comfortable with negotiating the pay and benefits I receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment